Yes, Without proper preservation, pickle juice goes bad as it contains acetic acid (in the form of vinegar), which is highly exposed to bacteria to grow faster.
Homemade Vs Market Pickle Juice Expiration
If it is Homemade pickle juice, it lasts for a few weeks but the market-bought pickle juice can be stored for up to 12-15 months if it is unopened.
Does Pickle Juice Need To Be Refrigerated?
To be real, No! Pickle Juice need not be refrigerated as the pickle soaked in pickle brine does not necessarily need refrigeration. Furthermore, since the drink is vinegar based, the preparation process is tested and approved by testing and is approved by the USFDA (United States Food and Drug Administration) which suggests that PH levels are stable even without refrigeration. However, you can refrigerate homemade pickle juice or brine it for up to a few months. But packaged pickle juice can be used for 1-2 months once open. While it is still safe to use, the quality will be lower, and it may not taste as great as it did before the expiration date.
How to Tell If Pickle Juice Is Bad?
After some time, pickle juice just like pickles becomes unstable. It turns slimy and starts giving a foul odour. This process can occur faster if you add contaminants into the juice.
The following are the indicative marks of the spoilage of pickle juice.
- It becomes murky and cloudy.
- It turns slimy.
- Fungi colonies may be seen as well.
- The Colour of the juice changes over time.
How Long Does Pickle Juice Last?
Unopened pickle juices will last for several months even after their best before dates. Once the bottle is open, the juice will start losing its quality. But, there are a lot of factors involved in which the life of pickle juice depends like
- Readymade pickles which are bought from the market contain a lot of preservatives like vinegar. This vinegar increases its longevity.
- If the pickles are pasteurised or not. Pickle juice of pasteurised pickles will last for three months. Unpasteurised pickle juice can last for a few days only but if it is kept in the refrigerator then it can last up to three months.
How to Store Pickle Juice?
There are a plethora of ways to store pickle juice, but it is important to keep a check on a few things as well for their proper storage.
Here are the ways:
- In the case of homemade pickle juice, it is needed to store in a dark and cold place to prevent it from going bad for longer periods as these prevent the growth of harmful microbes.
- In the case of market-bought pickle juice, the manufacturers mention the expiration date or best before date.
- It is also important to consider if the pickle is Pasteurised pickle juice or unpasteurized. The reason being is that Pasteurised pickle juice in an airtight jar will last longer than unpasteurised pickle juice. Unpasteurised pickle juice must be stored in the refrigerator. But If the jar is once opened then it must be refrigerated to maintain its quality.
- If you are storing it in a tin container then transfer it into a glass container because storing pickle juice in a tin container in the fridge might change the flavour and hasten deterioration.
- The use of airlocks and cheesecloth is an effective way to store pickle juice as airlock prevents the fermentation process and cheesecloth doesn’t allow odour to escape from the jar.
How To Keep Pickle Juice Fresh Longer?
It is important to seal pickle juice in an airtight container to keep it fresh.
The following are some ways to make pickle juice stay fresh for longer periods.
- Always keep the container sealed when it is not in use. This will not allow the growth of bacteria inside the jar.
- Always refrigerate pickle juice immediately after use. Do not keep it outside even for a short time.
- Never put the container in warm and humid conditions because warm and humid conditions are favourable for the growth of fungal colonies.
- Never store it in dry and cold conditions as it will allow the growth of harmful pathogens and this will spoil the pickle juice quickly.
What Happens If You Drink Bad Pickle Juice?
Pickle juice does not turn bad but it loses its effectiveness after some time.
Following things can happen when you drink bad pickle juice.
- Fermentation results in spoilage of pickle juice. It makes pickle juice more acidic.
- Bad pickle juice can cause severe discomfort for a person having ulcers.
- It can cause gastric problems, stomach aches and diarrhoea. It disrupts the ionic balance and causes dehydration.
- Bacteria present in bad pickle juice can make you sick and can cause food poisoning.
Q1. How do you know when pickle juice is bad?
Ans. The most obvious sign to detect if pickle juice is bad is to notice its colour and odour. If the natural colour of pickle juice is changing then it may be expired. If it smells unpleasant and foul, different from its natural smell then throw it out as soon as possible.
Q2. Can you get sick from pickle juice?
Ans. Pickle juice offers some health benefits such as controlling blood sugar levels, improving gut health and giving relief to muscle pain. However, it can cause some problems such as hypertension and stomach ulcers.
Q3. What can you do with old pickle juice?
Ans. There are several ways to use an old pickle juice. You can make pickles using this old juice. It can also be used to add flavours to cold salads. It can also be used in the form of sauces. You can soak potatoes in it and have it after two or three days.
Q4. Can pickle juice go bad in Summer ?
Ans. In summer Due to Heat Pickle Juice Can Turn rancid .
Q5. Does unpasteurized pickle juice Go Bad ?
Ans. Unpasteurized pickle juice lasts up to 3 months After the Date Of Best Before.
Q6. Does pickle juice expire Really ?
Ans. Yes Pickle Juice Expire And It is Best after 3 months of opening.
Q7. How long does pickle juice last in the fridge
Ans. In between 2 to 3 months it will expire When Kept in the refrigerator or Freezer.