Hard-boiled eggs are good for one week if refrigerated. If they are not then they are good for just two hours. These are heated with the shell on until the yolk and their white part are solid.
Most people confuse soft boil eggs with hard-boiled eggs. And in real difference is hard-boiled eggs leave both the yolk and the white in a solid condition, whereas, in soft-boiled eggs, the whites and the yolks are partially liquid or raw.
How Long Do Hard-Boiled Eggs Last At Room Temperature?
Hard-boiled eggs last only for two hours if not refrigerated. It is because an egg at room temperature can help bacteria grow on it and will be oxidized by coming in contact with air which will further support the bacterial growth.
Know More: When Does Soy Sauce Go Bad?
Dangerous bacteria grow when the temperature is between 40 degrees to 140 Fahrenheit. This is the optimum temperature for microorganisms to grow and ruin the food.
Properly storing the food is the key to keeping it fresh for longer hours. The below steps should be followed while storing eggs.
- It shouldn’t be kept near food that is already spoilt or will be spoilt soon as the microorganisms can be easily transferred from food to food.
- Washing your hands before touching the eggs while packing so that there is no bacterial transfer from your hands to the food.
- Cooking the eggs in the right method will also help them last longer when stored.
How Long Do Hard-Boiled Eggs Last In The Fridge?
Hard-boiled eggs last in the fridge for a week. The unpeeled hard-boiled eggs last longer than peeled hard-boiled eggs. One way to increase the life of peeled hard-boiled eggs is to keep them in an airtight container and then refrigerate them.
If you have leftover Hard boiled eggs they can be used in various ways.
Some of them are:
- Leftover hard-boiled eggs can be used to make high-protein salads. Hard-boiled eggs are rich in protein and low calories.
- They can be used in making egg sandwiches quick breakfast for people who do not have much time in the morning.
- It can be used to feed animals.
Info About: When Do Pickles Go Bad?
How To Store Hard-Boiled Eggs?
Hard-boiled eggs evolved in 5000 B.C after the evolution of pottery. Had boiled eggs became very common in ancient Rome that there is a roman saying which means from eggs to apple, it means eggs were eaten as an appetizer.
In those days, they were stored in earthen pots. Still, due to technological advancement, It is advisable to keep them in a closed container and then refrigerate them.
If they are unpeeled, then cover them in a slightly moist towel to help them retain their moisture and doesn’t dry up quickly.
- Once the hard-boiled eggs are boiled, put them in an ice water tray to cool them. It’s a general method, so hot food isn’t directly placed in the fridge.
- Drying the eggs to remove excess humidity is another important step. Otherwise, the eggs will turn soggy.
- Once they are dry, wrap them in a moist cloth and put them in an air-tight container to protect them from bacteria.
How Do I Know If A Hard-Boiled Egg Is Bad?
Smelling the egg and sensing the odor is the easiest and the best way to determine if the hard-boiled egg is spoilt.
If the smell is rotten, sulfur-like, or unpleasantly strong, the egg is spoilt and isn’t right for usage. If the hard-boiled egg is unpeeled, the odor can be checked after peeling it. Eating a bad hard-boiled egg can cause health issues.
A person can get a Salmonella infection by eating a bad egg, nauseating them, and causing diarrhea and vomiting.
Do You Have To Cool Hard-Boiled Eggs Before Refrigerating Them?
If you want to keep your hard-boiled eggs edible for up to seven days, cooling them properly before refrigeration is a must; otherwise, bacteria and other microorganisms can easily grow on them.
The reaction occurs between the iron in the yolks and sulfur in the egg whites. Grey eggs are good for consumption. They might affect the taste and texture of the eggs a little bit, but they are safe to eat.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can You Eat Hard-Boiled Eggs After Ten Days?
No hard-boiled eggs are edible only for up to seven days if refrigerated and just for 2 hours if not refrigerated. If eaten after seven days, there can be serious infections or indigestion in the tract.
2. Are Hard-Boiled Eggs Good After Five Days?
They are good after five days if they are cooled and refrigerated properly.
3. Do Hard-Boiled Eggs Last Longer Peeled Or Unpeeled?
Hard-boiled eggs last longer unpeeled. The outer layer protects them from bacteria. To keep the unpeeled hard-boiled eggs intact for the same amount of days as the unpeeled ones, it is advisable to store them in an airtight container with a moist cloth covering.
4. What Does A GREY Boiled Egg Mean?
The grey layer on a hard-boiled egg means a chemical reaction between the egg yolk and the egg whites resulting in a grey layer.
Guide About: Can Deli Meat Go Bad? Tips To Preserve It