Yes, Jordan almonds go bad. Jordan Almonds are basically sugar-coated almonds. While the hard sugar coating around the almonds helps keep the nut inside fresh for a longer period of time, Jordan almonds do go bad with time depending on their storage and temperature.
They are well known by several names all over the world. For example, they are known as Dragée in French, Confetti in Italian, and as Jordon or sugared almonds in English.
They are used for several purposes besides eating. They have a great significance in Italian and Greek weddings and are thought to be an aphrodisiac in the Middle East and so are handed to guests and the newlyweds as a gift.
How Long Will Jordan Almonds last?
Jordan Almonds can last from 3 to 4 months to 12 months depending on several factors. And one of the key factors in this is the color of the almonds.
If one has chosen white almonds, they can stay fresh for several months. Whereas, Colored almonds last for 3 to 4 months before their color starts to fade.
Furthermore, Jordan almonds can last for up to 5 months at a normal room temperature. But they can last longer if properly stored in air-tight containers and refrigerated, and kept away from direct exposure to sunlight.
With that being mentioned, it is also important to consider that if their packaging is opened, they only last for a week or two in the refrigerator and up to two months in the freezer.
|Room temperature||White/colored||Packed||2 months|
How To Tell If Jordan Almond Is Bad?
The most common way of telling if Jordan Almonds have gone bad are:
- Check for signs of molds or dark spots on them and smell them. Mold often leads food to leak out a bad smell which gives a fair warning about its bad condition.
- If the almonds give out a smell like bad oil, it is also a sign that they should be thrown out.
What’s So Special About Jordan Almonds?
Jordan almonds are a very special part of celebrations in various parts of the world. Here are some quick facts related to it:
- In ancient Rome, they were used as a celebration on festive occasions such as weddings and birthdays. Even today, in Greece and Italy, they are a big part of wedding ceremonies.
- In Italy, Jordan almonds are used as wedding favors by the newlyweds to the guests at their wedding.
- The package includes a total of 5 Jordan almonds, an indivisible odd number, which is a symbol of unity between the couple. The five almonds are a symbol of happiness, health, longevity, wealth, and fertility.
- The package includes both sweet and bitter almonds which represent both the sweet and bitter moments of life.
- In the Middle East, they are not only considered to be an aphrodisiac but also a symbol of fertility for the new bride. They are found in abundance at weddings for both the guests and the new couple.
Can Jordan Almonds Be Frozen?
Yes, Jordan Almonds can be frozen. In fact, freezing them in airtight containers is one of the best ways to make sure that they last for a long time.
Since almonds contain oil, if left at warm temperatures, they soon begin to give off a bad smell and go bad. If frozen in a proper manner, it is possible to increase their shelf life for up to 24 months as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do candied almonds go bad?
Yes, candied almonds do go bad if left exposed to warm temperatures or sun. To prevent them from going bad, it is important that they be stored in a proper manner.
They should be stored in air-tight containers and kept in the refrigerator or freezer.
2. How long do candy-coated almonds last?
The lasting time of candy almonds depends on several factors. If kept in a refrigerator, candy-coated almonds will last a few weeks. If stored in a freezer, they can last for up to 12 months.
Their longevity also depends on the color of the almonds inside the candy coating. White almonds last longer than colored almonds.
3. How bad are Jordan almonds?
Since Jordon almonds are sugar-coated and colored, they contain large amounts of sugar, calories, carbohydrates, and fat.
While plain roasted almonds make for a good snack seeing as they are rich in Vitamin E, magnesium, potassium, and calcium, Jordon Almonds should not be consumed in large quantities or on a regular basis.
4. Are Jordan almonds bad for you?
Jordon almonds contain large amounts of sugar which are harmful to the body. Also, since almonds are already hard nuts, coating them in hard candy shells further hardens them which is not easy on the teeth.
They are not recommended to people who have vulnerable teeth.